• improved body composition,
• increased muscle strength,
• enhanced joint flexibility,
• increased functional capacity,
• improved mobility.”
Here are some good lines to remember when dealing with older exercise “lovers”:
1. Dad do you want to keep those long relaxed golf games next years? Without exercise adults 50 and over on average lose 5 pounds of muscle mass every 10 years!
In fact, research shows that adults 50 and over average a 3 pound increase in muscle tissue after just 10 weeks of sensible strength exercise.
2. Mom, I love those yellow shorts that we gave you for your birthday, you should ware them more often, no they aren't too tight, but with some work outs maybe you will feel better in them. In fact strength training will help you lose fat weight even in the absence of dietary restriction.
Research shows a 7 percent increase in resting metabolism after just three months of strength exercise. Research indicates approximately 4 pounds of fat loss from strength exercise alone after just 10 weeks of training and twice as much fat loss when combined with minor dietary adjustments.
Keep in mind that, strength training has been shown to significantly reduce the risk of:
• Osteoporosis - increase bone mineral density
• Diabetes (type 2) - increase glucose uptake
• Colon cancer - increase gastrointestinal transit speed
• Cardiovascular disease - reduce resting blood pressure, and significantly improve blood lipid profiles
• Low back pain - increase full-range lower back strength
• Rheumatoid arthritis - increase musculoskeletal function and concurrently eases the pain of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
See you at the gym grandma :)